Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Catching up with Emily Miethner ’10

Throughout her student years at Hofstra, Emily Miethner was recognizable as “the face of Hofstra Pride.” Her image was on many of Hofstra’s promotional brochures, the website and even a commercial campaign. However, there is much more to Miethner than a pretty face – her academic achievements and extracurricular involvement as a student were not only admirable, but dizzying! She was very involved in the Fine Arts/Art History Department, where she concentrated in graphic design. She co-founded and served as president of the Hofstra Association of Graphic Artists (HAGA), which presented a number of student art exhibitions in Calkins Hall, and she helped develop an annual networking event, “Not All Artists Are Starving,” which continues to bring fine arts alumni and professionals to campus to offer advice and career guidance to students. She also interned at The Knitting Factory, +1 Records, Time Out New York and Gawker

Miethner is currently serving as the community manager at RecordSetter.com and co-founder and president of NY Creative Interns, a group dedicated to helping college students and recent graduates find internships, mentors, and inspiration through networking and meetups. 


What is RecordSetter.com? 

We’re like the Wikipedia of world records. Our philosophy is that everyone is the best at something, and this is a way for people to show off their unique achievements. Our only requirements are that the records submitted be quantifiable and have media evidence. We currently host over 10,000 records from over 50 different countries. We’re also really excited; our first book comes out in November.

As community manager I work on social media and outreach. We’re a small company of about 10 people, and it’s a fun environment. Before I started, I was interning and working for them as a freelance designer, so I knew the team was really talented before I came on board.

What are some of your favorite records? 

My all-time favorite is the longest headspin – 14 minutes performed by an 11-year-old. I also love the largest cardboard fort built by a group of Harvard University students, and the most bites taken out of an apple while juggling an apple, a bowling ball and a flaming torch.

What inspired you to co-found NY Creative Interns? 

Basically, I knew I wanted to help students and recent graduates learn the importance of meeting people and finding mentors. Students who major in things like accounting or science, for instance, have more traditional career paths. But students who want to get into creative careers have much less of a defined path – they need to surround themselves with mentors and inspiring creatives, learn how to market themselves, and be entrepreneurial.

I founded NY Creative Interns with another Hofstra grad, Reb Carlson [‘10]. The organization is less than a year old, and we’ve become the largest and most active intern group in New York, having thrown over 20 different events totaling more than 1,000 attendees. [Also on the board of NY Creative Interns are Hofstra alumni Jaime Hoerbelt and Dani Newman, and contributors include alumni Phil Robibero, Marise Montrose, Amber Young, and current students Gennifer Delman and Nick Schweers.]

In a previous interview for the Hofstra website, you said your dream was to work in graphic design for the music industry. Have your goals changed? What have you learned about yourself in the year and a half since you graduated?

I’m really happy I majored in graphic design because of the amazing environment and support I received from the department; I use the skills I learned at Hofstra every day. But yes, my goals have definitely changed. I really enjoy running my own business (NY Creative Interns) and would like to continue in this capacity in the future. That’s why I love my job at RecordSetter; I’m learning a ton about growing something from nothing.

What is your advice for current students majoring in fine arts? 

Stay happy by challenging yourself and make an effort to get more out of your classes and work experiences. At my first job [at Sterling Publishing] I filled a new role as the social media coordinator. My bosses were always super supportive so I was able to take it upon myself to learn and find new opportunities because the job had yet to be completely defined. Practice taking initiative; don’t always sit back and wait for instructions.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More