Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Alumni of the Month- January 2011

Jennifer Santorello ’09 

“Having past business experience really helped me become a business teacher and branch out within the school. I decided to start teaching after I had a few rough years in the business world. I had a love for teaching from the time I was younger ...” 

Jennifer started a career in the business world before coming to Hofstra to pursue an M.S.Ed. Now a business teacher at the Plainview-Old Bethpage JFK High School on Long Island, Jennifer was recently selected as the Julian A. Milkes Outstanding New Business Educator by the Business Teachers Association of New York State. She teaches courses in marketing, law and accounting and has served as assistant chapter adviser of DECA, an association of marketing students. Jennifer is active in many community activities, including fundraisers for the Little Shelter, Cystic Fibrosis Foundation, and Dress for Success Foundation.

Bret Strauss ’02 

“My favorite experience at Hofstra was student teaching. I was thrilled to finally have the opportunity to use all the tools and resources I gathered from the courses in the program. It truly felt like the culmination of all my hard work. During that time, I developed my teaching style and cemented my belief that teaching was what I was meant to do.” 

Bret graduated from Hofstra with an M.S.Ed. in business education and was hired by the Valley Stream Central High School District. In 2004 he received the Outstanding New Business Educator Award by the Business Teachers Association of New York State. He was promoted to department head of career and technical education in 2008 and currently serves as the full-time dean of students. Bret oversees the school store and serves as the adviser for Future Business Leaders of America, which has won numerous state and national awards. He is also treasurer of the Long Island Business Teachers Association and serves as an adjunct professor in Hofstra’s Department of Teaching, Literacy and Leadership.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More